Whether for the web, social media, internal or external communication, well-crafted content remains the key factor in differentiating your message from the competition. Content Marketing (CM) is a strategic approach that focuses on creating and delivering valuable, relevant, and consistent messages to attract and retain your customer or audience. CM works best when it is aligned with your business’ mission, vision and overall marketing strategy. Before launching a CM initiative, consider these factors:
What do we want to accomplish through CM?
• Which company goals will this support?
• How does this fit into your overall marketing strategy?
Who is the target audience for our CM?
• Do you have a detailed picture of each audience group? What they do, where they go, why they purchase your service or product.
• What do you want your audiences to do after reading our content?
• Which tools – web, social media, blogs, etc. – can best reach your target audiences?
What is your brand’s unique story?
• How can you differentiate your products and services from the competition?
• What is your value proposition?
• Why does that matter to your audiences?
How will we manage your CM?
• Who will develop the plan and the content?
• How much and how often will you publish content?
• How will you evaluate our CM?
One additional important factor: content marketing is not a one-off effort. Be sure you are committed to creating engaging content and delivering it to your customers on a consistent basis.